Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

After about 10 hours the delirium sets in.

So I must have made the right impression as I got asked back and offered a paid position. I managed not to get shot like some poor work ex at Chelsea by Ashley Cole and hadn't just made cups of tea. I had grafted though my feet and legs told me that. Standing for 14 hours two days on the trot is not good for you!

Long white corridor
I start my first paid job fresh faced and wide eyed and soon learn that this industry isn't glamorous at all. I stand for 14 hours a day making nice with some very odd people occasionally leaving the long white walled corridor to supervise fag breaks and make tea.

After about 10 hours the delirium sets in and you begin to find things annoying or funny. Things that you wouldn't normally find funny or annoying but you just cant help it. Especially if your in the part of the corridor affectionately named the isolation ward. This is due to the fact you are behind a glass fire door and blocked off from the normal conversations and banter. Sometimes its nice to rest there though. The peace and quiet can be calming and there's a chair!

The chair is heaven but can be a fatal mistake if you sit down to early in the day you can regret it. So you have to time your chair habit quiet well. Will you have to stand up much after sitting? How many hours till you can sit down again after this? And do you really need to sit? You have to ask yourself all these questions and if your satisfied with the answers then and only then do you dare to sit. If you sit before this when you do have to work you find your legs are unable to move the blood is slowly moving back to your body and now you want to stand again! Are you mad! Your legs start to hate you and throb, you find yourself shifting the weight from one leg to the other and leaning on the wall for support.

If you can survive three weeks of this then you can survive anything in TV. Its like an endurance test. Or evolution survival of the fittest! In the last six years I have seen plenty fall by the wayside unable to cope.

Standing on this corridor has lead to some of the funniest memories I think I will ever have in TV, I have seen things and heard some odd things in my time on that corridor. Stories to come about colostomy bags, wheel chairs and dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment